Monday, January 18, 2010

A Matter of Obedience

It's been so long ago I can't even remember when it was, but years ago I was told, "Do the last thing God told you to do until told to do otherwise." At the time I accepted it and moved on. I have even used this phrase to make decisions over the years as well as taught it to people under my leadership.

Recently I have been at a crossroads and needed to make a decision which way to turn. I pulled out the old phrase and applied it. A few days later while pondering my decision it occurred to me that possibly I had been wrong by just accepting this phrase at face value. So I decided to re-evaluate what I had been taught, compare it to the bible and see what happens.

I chatted with a couple of people who are founded in the word, exchanged some ideas, and I have come to this conclusion. Even though the statement can't be "proved" in the bible with chapter and verse, I have decided it is a biblical principle of obedience. George P. Wood asked me this question "If you're not doing the last thing, should you be starting a new thing?" The answer became so very clear. OBEDIENCE. A simple matter of obedience.

So I will continue to use the phrase as a gauge for decision making, because my obedience to Christ is beyond important to me!

No comments: