Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Does Integrity affect your life?

I'll have to admit integrity is what's on my mind these days. I recently had interaction with an individual who has really brought to the forefront how important integrity is. The bad thing is it was their lack of integrity that pushed me toward the revelation.

Now I understand that people want to look good in other people's eyes. I'm guilty of the same desires. I want everyone out there to like me and think I'm a fabulous person. But at the same time, I won't compromise my standards and manipulate the truth to make myself look good.

Integrity is probably the most powerful tool a leader has in building character. If you don't have integrity you'll never have the kind of leadership people want to follow. Maybe from afar you look good, but when people get close, they'll know. It won't take long for people to figure out its just a facade. You're a fake. A rather harsh reality, but true none the less.

As a leader I guard my decision making process. I value other peoples opinions, even if it ticks me off or make me feel uncomfortable. In my opinion, nothing is more important than surrounding yourself with people who will tell you the truth. The Bible tells us that the truth is what makes us free. I would rather have the truth and feel uncomfortable than lack integrity.

What about you? How does integrity or the lack thereof affect your life?

No comments: